Gel nails can last beautifully for weeks, but they need your help. The people with the best lasting nails follow this advice to the letter.
- Nails are jewels not tools! Avoid picking at things with your nails, or biting or picking the nails themselves. Try to avoid bashing your nails into things or being heavy handed (easier said than done I know).
- Wear gloves for all washing up, work with chemicals, cleaning, gardening and decorating.
- Use cuticle oil regularly, morning and night. This is important as it helps to keep brittle nails tough! It will also help to nourish the skin around your nails supporting the health of your nails.
- Always have your product professionally removed, with foil soak off if possible, as this is best for your natural nail plate.
- Moisturise regularly but avoid hand creams containing lanolin which can cause lifting.
- Avoid turmeric, curries, tanning and hair colorants touching your nails particularly if you have a light colour on as these things penetrate the porous gel layer and can cause discolouration. Products containing an SPF can also cause discolouration, wipe nails after application.
- If you experience any lifting, or chipping do not peel the gel off(!) contact The Nail and Beauty Nerd for a complimentary repair or removal (see “chip free Guarantee” policy)
- Do not file the tip of your nails as there is a seal created which keeps the gel strong, breaking this seal will allow water in and allow them to chip.